There have been drastic changes in the way we live our lives within the past six months. A lot has happened. Unfortunately, we can’t undo the past, but we can adjust our lives to suit reality. For seniors, it is no different. COVID-19 pandemic has forced many seniors to limit their social interaction, stay indoors, and protect themselves in every manner possible.
Undoubtedly, living in isolation and staying indoors may take its toll on the elderly, especially those already experiencing the adverse effect of loneliness. Many seniors can overcome such feelings by engaging in senior-friendly activities. One of them is art and crafts. Contrary to what many think, they have many countless benefits, and seniors can leverage them to combat the adverse effects of isolation and social distancing.
Arts and crafts are both beneficial and enjoyable. Here are some of the benefits that the elderly can’t afford to let go, especially in these critical times that the world is in right now.
- When seniors create art, their minds are automatically stimulated—research as shown that this can be a great way to combat emotional illness for the elderly.
- Anything created through arts and crafts can provide a sense of self-esteem and accomplishment. There is a feeling of self-fulfillment that envelopes the heart each time we make something unique and beautiful out of our imagination.
- Seniors who use a wheelchair can learn a craft they can do with their hands. These include but are not limited to painting, pottery, and drawing. The emotional satisfaction that it brings is immeasurable.
- Since arts and crafts involve working with the hands, experts have shared this will help to increase blood flow and agility in the arm, hands, and fingers.
- It helps to tighten the family bond when seniors create something beautiful and present it as a gift to other family members. Seeing our work through the eyes of others creates a feeling of self-pride and belonging.
Many seniors lived hectic lives when they were younger. And they know the significance of getting satisfaction from a job well done. As we retire, we desire that kind of pride too. Therefore, seniors who spend time doing some art and crafts work can easily enjoy the benefit of this significant activity, thereby enhancing their emotional and physical wellbeing.
Elderlink is always looking to ways of assisting the audience we so passionately serve. Finding the right place to live is very important, and we are proud of our history in bringing these services to seniors, and their families is a safe and efficient way. Call us today if you are looking for a new place to call home for yourself or a family member and know Elderlink cares about each of their clients. 800 613-5772 one call and we do it all.